Thursday, March 22, 2012

This Is Not For You.

"There's something here.  It's following me.  No, it's stalking me.  I've been stalked by it for days but for some reason it's not attacking.  It's waiting, waiting for something.  I don't know what.  Holloway Roberts.  Menominee, Wisconsin.  I'm not alone here, I'm not alone."

- Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves



I have several favorite books that I have reread many times, but none come to mind quite like House of Leaves.  I guarantee you this won't be the last time I tell you about it.  It is an extremely complex novel that absorbs me when I read it, and after I am finished with it I spend hours researching the endless questions it poses.  Simply put it is a book about a book about a book about a film about a house.  (Okay?).  Fine and dandy, except for the fact that the house is 1/4 inch (or 5/16ths of an inch to be more precise) bigger on the inside than on the outside.  That is the general story at face value, the rest, however, is a nightmare.  It's an engrossing (albeit somewhat difficult) read, especially if you like that kind of voice.  I do.  The book lingers in the back of my mind, springing forth like a hungry monster when I come upon scenes like this:


The house described in the book sounds quite quaint actually.  This is just me giving a face to the endless space and growl within it.  The belly of the house and the 5&1/2 minute hallway.


I suggest reading House of Leaves and if, while reading it, you sense something behind you, heed the warning:


"Don't look."


"I didn't."

5 comments:

  1. this will be an interesting read. I love the blog. keep it updated, I'll keep checking back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, nice job keeping with the blue font ;) So I started "John Dies at the End," but... idk, I don't think it compares. I'm not too far in yet, though. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I wanted to give another subtle nod to HoL that anyone who's read it would recognize. I think it's going to be a hard book to beat the writing style is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! You're photo really does capture the idea of the house. It's incredible, this is going to be how I imagine it forever more.

    ReplyDelete