Friday, March 16, 2012

The One Where I Get Stuck

What you should be listening to:  Stuck in the Middle With You- Stealers Wheel, trust me, you'll understand why.  (On a side note, this makes me want to watch Reservoir Dogs every time I hear it.)


I sometimes don't think things through when I get excited about something.  Because of this, things don't always go according to plan...


I'm a sucker for photography of trees.  Deep green woods, beautiful colors in a fall forest, the texture of the bark, rain on a leaf, however, what I really love is the 'lone tree in a field' shot.  I see these trees while driving around and go "OH!  I have to get a shot of that with a sunset/rise."


On my way to visit my cousin in the hospital (she had just had her beautiful little baby girl!), I spotted a tree way back on a piece of land off the highway.  I also saw a "Land For Sale" sign, which meant that I wouldn't have to sneak onto anyone's land to get the shot, score!  It took a month for me to make it out to the field and we had one last snowfall the week that I went to get it.  


As I pulled off to the side of the road I noticed that I could park my car  on a little spot of the land.  There was just a slight dip off the side of the road and the ground looked pretty solid, so I drove down, parked, and tromped off to the tree.


I was running out of light fast, plus I was freezing (thanks Raynaud's Syndrome), so I took a few shots and called it a day.  I made my way back to the car (randomly sinking into snow up to my knee at times), turned around, and drove on back up the little incline.


Except I didn't make it to the road.


I was literally five feet from the top and my tires were slipping on the snow.  So I backed up with the full intention of gunning it out.  That didn't happen either.  I had backed into a rut and couldn't move forward anymore.  So I gave it one more try, backed up, and straddled the rut with my tires, with a little more speed.  All was going good until I let the tire slip back into the rut and, at that point, became permanently stuck.  Extremely annoyed at my predicament I called Nick to come save me and, while waiting for Nick, I also called my stepdad Scott, just in case.


Long story short, Scott drove around me, hooked me up and pulled me out then  Nick drove it up the rut and incline no problem.  Lesson learned: don't drive into things like that, ever and turn off traction control in these instances.


So was the shot worth the trouble?  I think so...



3 comments:

  1. i am also a sucker for these shots... unfortunately my camera sucks, but i still try. there is a tree near maplewood meats that i would die to have a good shot of, unfortunately it is very very very close to the highway. i think a sunset-y picture would be great if only to cut out the highway, arby's/shell and maplewood... good luck to me lol. p.s. i really love the bottom one! i may steal it for my livingroom wall if it's alright with you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the exact tree you're talking about! I thought the same thing, it's got a great shape but it's way too close to a bunch of shit, would be a lot of work to edit out. Actually there was a forest off to the right of this tree that I took out :).

    I'll have to send you the high rez file, the ones on here are web only. I'm actually thinking about making some of my shots available for print through my favorite online printer, not sure if it would be worth the cost though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I usually try to snap a pic with my phone while driving by, haha. And I rarely ever get a decent shot, and it's with a stinkin' camera phone. So, yeah, I think it's worth the trouble! :) I can't wait for you to come to Madison so we can go around together, I can take you out by the bluffs... we can take the guys with us in case we get into trouble!

    ReplyDelete