Sunday, March 11, 2012

Coors Light Power Lines

What you should be listening to:  Foo Fighters: Skin and Bones

One of the awesome things about having photography as a hobby is the random experiences it can bring.  Occasionally I'll go on drives looking for a subject to shoot and see something that I want to come back to and capture at a later time.  These power lines were one of those instances.

They are about 20 minutes outside of Green Bay, down a few random roads, a left, a right, and probably another left.  When I first saw them I geeked out, noted that there was nothing at all interesting going on with the sky (it was a clear day out), and decided to come back a different time.

It was about 9:30 in the morning and extremely quiet.  I had been shooting for about an hour and a half at two locations on this road and had seen a total of two cars.  Both of the drivers had given me weird looks which I can only assume translated to "What the hell is she doing?!".  I had moved on to the power lines and was fairly engrossed in my picture taking, but out of the corner of my eye I saw an oncoming vehicle start to slow down as it made it's approach.  I moved to the opposite side of the road to get out of his way and was quite shocked when the Coors Light delivery truck stopped across from me.  I was expecting him to yell at me for being in the road, I mean really, what else would he have to say?  Well the following conversation answered my question:

Him- "Hey"

Me- "How's it going?"

H-"You taking some pictures of the power lines, like those infinity kind of shots?"

M- "Mhhmm."

H- "Awesome! My cousin took some of those on black and white film back in the day and they look great!" 

M- "Awesome!" 

H-"Well you have a great day!!!" 

M- "Hey you too!"

Lol wtf random. Seriously two cars and a Coors Light guy who happens to also like pictures of power lines...lol I love my hobby.









You may be wondering why I chose Skin and Bones for this set of images.  Well; 1) the song is fricken great in my opinion, and 2) the structure of the power lines brings it to mind, how they're all bare, they're just skin and bones.

2 comments: